Norway Baptist Church was originally founded in 1806 by 10 believers from the Baptist Church in South Paris, Maine. The Church was given a piece of property near where the “Ginger Bread” house currently sets (north of town). William Parson became the first deacon and Bro. John Wogg was called to be their first Pastor.
Over the Church’s 200 plus year history, it has seen God bless in so many ways. One of which was a revival in 1840 under the Pastorate of Reuben Milner (who also to date holds the longest term of the many Pastors N.B.C. has seen). Another great blessing came in 1886 (eight years before the great fire) with a new and then modern Church building located on present-day Cottage Street, where the Church still meets today.
In a book entitled “The History of Norway” by William B. Lapham, Mr. Lapham makes a statement about the Baptist Church in Norway on pg. 199 in which he states “There is every prospect that the Baptist Church of Norway will become extinct.” Today the Baptist Church of Norway is still going strong for the Lord Jesus Christ and will by God grace continue because “if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.” Acts 5:39.